BUY NOW EXCLUSIVE AT INTERSPORT

Please choose your respective country

Select your country

24.05.2017
Expedition

Summit attempt canceled...

For the last few days, we climbed as planned from one high-altitude camp to the next. On Tuesday night in Camp 2, we already observed high winds around the summit. The storm sounded like sleeping next to a wild mountain creek, and we could imagine all night what was going on up there. At daybreak, we saw great weather vanes waving around the peak.

When the first sun rays hit our tent, it quickly warmed up on the inside, and we got ready for the ascent to Camp 3. As soon we set out from Camp 2, we were hit by the first high gusts, and the wind became nastier the further we climbed. Despite the sun making it a lot more bearable, the climb through the Lhotse wall was not really pleasant. I reached our tent in Camp 3 shortly after midday. Everything was still in place despite the wind and the precipitation of the last days. Only the ground had suffered a bit and had to be leveled.

Hannes arrived in Camp 3 a few hours later. The Lhotse face was still not his friend, and he had some troubles with the steep vertical sections.

Despite the optimistic prognosis, the wind did not really calm down by the afternoon, neither did it overnight. Then our weather window got postponed. So what could we do? The forecast for the summit for the next days was rather lousy. No appropriate day for the last punch to the summit in sight and no weather window that we could use. On top of that, we are not using any oxygen or porters.

Let me give you a bit more information regarding climbing without supplemental oxygen and why it requires certain conditions: Supplemental – or bottled – oxygen improves the performance at high altitude and supports the body temperature management. After all, you may just call it doping. Everyone must decide for themselves whether they want to reach the highest peaks of the world with this kind of support. We decided against it, simply because it is the fairest way to approach the summit. No porters, no oxygen, no medicinal support. Simply "by fair means"!

BUT: This also requires specific weather conditions, and, of course, plenty of luck. And we weren't lucky this year. The local weather had been extremely unstable all spring. There were a few days when it was possible to climb Everest; many of them involved lots of wind, and only a few people managed without supplemental oxygen.

With our acclimatization sessions, we tried to adjust perfectly to the altitude and then waited for the perfect day. We did not have many options, and in the end, Everest was (this time) not on our side. Thanks to the weather, our nerves became literally as wind-swept as the Lhotse face.

Should we have waited a few more days, should we have tried earlier? We will leave these questions unanswered. This morning, we finally decided to cancel our expedition and descend. We cleared our camps and brought all our gear back to the base camp. This means we don't have to go back and everything is taken care of.

In the end, we are happy to be healthy, without any injuries, illness or frostbite. Considering the potential dangers, we were very lucky. We did not make it to the summit "by fair means." Years of preparation, financial expenses, a lot of time and deprivation, however, provide for a somewhat downhearted mood. But all that counts now is our healthy return to home. We will clean up our temporary home here at the base of the mountain and begin our journey back home, which will take a few days.

Now that this adventure is over, I want to express my sincere gratitude: A big THANK YOU to our loyal readers, our sponsors, and to our families who allow us to make our dreams come true! We have been away for many weeks, and now we are – as much as you – looking forward to coming home!

All the best from the Everest base camp,

Markus & Hannes

 

Share article

That might interest you too

Expedition
15.05.2017

Third acclimatization session complete

We left the base camp on Saturday morning as planned.

Read more
Expedition
10.05.2017

Rest days in the base camp

After we arrived here yesterday, around noon, the weather also decided to turn to "base camp" mode.

Read more
Expedition
09.05.2017

Second acclimatization session finalized and back in base camp

Last Friday, we set out from base camp right after an early breakfast at 06:00 a.m.

Read more
Expedition
01.05.2017

In memory of Ueli Steck

A few words from Markus Amon to the tragic accident which happened very close to them.

Read more
Expedition
01.05.2017

First acclimatization session successfully completed

I tried to keep you up-to-date with our LiveTracker. What is still missing is a detailed report with pictures of the...

Read more
Expedition
26.04.2017

A team is breaking apart!

Only yesterday, we reached the base camp, set it up together and looked back on the last days and weeks.

Read more
Expedition
26.04.2017

A team is breaking apart!

Only yesterday, we reached the base camp, set it up together and looked back on the last days and weeks.

Read more
Expedition
25.04.2017

Everest base camp set up after two hard-working days

As reported, we reached base camp yesterday.

Read more
Expedition
22.04.2017

Chukhung Ri, 5,560m: Day trip from the lodge in Chukhung!

This morning, Hannes and I left for an acclimatization tour to Chukhung's local mountain.

Read more
Expedition
21.04.2017

Chukhung (4,636m): the last lodge before the Island Peak for many

Initially, we wanted to leave Pamboche right after breakfast, but unfortunately, our porters put a spoke in our wheel.

Read more
Expedition
17.04.2017

Sumdur Ri 5,270m

Acclimatization tour from Thame.

Read more
Expedition
16.04.2017

Return of winter on the way to Trashi Labtsa

Yesterday morning, we left Na, the last village and thus also the last lodge before the crossing of the pass.

Read more
Expedition
13.04.2017

Acclimatization and rest days at 4,250m in Na

We spent the last two days here in Na, the last Sherpa settlement in the Rolwaling Valley.

Read more
Expedition
11.04.2017

Na

Today, we hiked the next leg of our trip to the village of Na.

Read more
Expedition
07.04.2017

200km on dusty roads to Gonggar

Post breakfast, together with our porters, trekking guide and kitchen crew, we finally departed Kathmandu.

Read more
Expedition
06.04.2017

Finally arrived...

Days in Kathmandu – Nepal's capital

Read more
Expedition
30.03.2017

Preparation of Georg Leithner

The fact that I am going to take on the highest mountain is certainly my biggest challenge...

Read more
Expedition
30.03.2017

Preparation of Noemi Beuret

The time is approaching - our adventure trip will start shortly...

Read more
Expedition
30.03.2017

Preparation of Markus Amon

"A dream comes true..."
The long awaited start of our Everest expedition comes closer and closer.

Read more